When the days are warm and sunny like today, I dont feel like staying indoors, even less to be cooking (or attempting to, as many of you pointed out my Aubergine Pie looked a bit burned….), so I open the fridge and proceed to empty its content in my version of a rice salad. My sisters laugh at it, but we quite enjoy it, it is very healthy with 6 or 7 different veggies, it can be vegan or vegetarian, just add only veggies and use Olive oil to dress. And let’s face it, very little cooking, minimum washing up, what’s there not to like….anyway try my “all goes in rice salad” , don’ t be put off by the long list of ingredients, it’s really very quick to do.
Continue reading Summer Rice Salad – Insalata di Riso
After making fried aubergines the other day, I still had one left in the fridge and I also kept the peeled skin from the 3 aubergines for the fried recipe, they are an excellent source of fibre. With some prosciutto in the fridge I needed to finish, I came up with this dish, we could call it pasta with leftovers really. It’s budget friendly as well, certainly under 5 euros, but most important it’s very tasty AND so quick and easy. I don’t have enough time to be able to spend hours in the kitchen, so my recipes need to be easy and simple but still be healthy, tasty and filling. If you are short of time but have a hungry crowd to feed then this is the right recipe for you: an added bonus is that you don’t really recognize the vegetables, so with a little luck even the children will enjoy it. I leave you now to this easy pasta let me know if you’ll make it.
INGREDIENTS for 4 people:
- 500gr bow pasta (farfalle)
- 1 large aubergine cut in cubes (or use leftovers from other recipes)
- 200 gr of ham or prosciutto, chopped
- olive oil
- parsley washed and chopped
1) bring to the boil a pot of water, add the pasta and salt, and cook according to the instructions
2) while the pasta cooks, in a frying pan heat some oil, when it's hot add the aubergine and ham and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid.
3) when the aubergine is soft turn off the heat
4) once the pasta is al dente reserve some of the cooking water and drain the pasta. Add it to the frying pan together with some of the reserved water but not too much you don't want it "wet"
5) finally add parsley and some more olive oil, stir well and serve